1/1 Photo of Egg Waffles or Gai Daan Jai
Popular street food in Hong Kong. These are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Gai Daan Jai (Tsai) means Little Chicken Eggs. Other names include Puffe, Bubble Waffle, Eggettes, Egg Puffs and I am sure there are other names. Served for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Either served flat or rolled with fruit in the center. You must have a special egg waffle pan to make these. You can find a nice one at Williams Sonoma.
My Private Note
Egg Waf ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (use Cake Flour Substitute if you have none on hand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- canola oil (for cooking, other veggie oil will work)
- 1Whisk together egg yolks, milk, vanilla, butter and sugar until well combined.
- 2In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- 3Bea egg whites to medium peaks.
- 4Whisk egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until there are no lumps.
- 5Fold in one-third of the egg whites to the batter and stir until lightened.
- 6Gently fold in the remaining egg whites in 2 additions.
- 7Set a wire rack out.
- 8Preheat both sides of the pan over medium heat until hot.
- 9Lightly brush each side with oil an pur batter into the center of one side and swirl it out a bit. Immediately place the other side of the pan on top, flip the pan and cook for 2 minutes or a bit more.
- 10Flip the pan over and cook until the waffle is golden brown on the other side - about 2+ minutes.
- 11Open the pan and tip the egg waffle out onto the rack. Let it cool for a couple minutes before serving.
- 12Repeat with remaining batter.
- 13Sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar and enjoy. Or put syrup on it.
- 14Optionally, lay fresh fruit and/or coconut on one side and roll it up for a great hand held snack.
- 15Be creative with the additions.
- 16The cooking time is for 1 waffle.
- 17Some people break apart the eggs. This is great for young children.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg Waffles or Gai Daan Jai
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.1
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 410.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g