Recipe by Ambervim
Popular street food in Hong Kong. These are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Gai Daan Jai (Tsai) means Little Chicken Eggs. Other names include Puffe, Bubble Waffle, Eggettes, Egg Puffs and I am sure there are other names. Served for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Either served flat or rolled with fruit in the center. You must have a special egg waffle pan to make these. You can find a nice one at Williams Sonoma.
- 141.74 g flour
- 6.16 ml baking powder
- 28.34 g cornstarch
- 14.79 ml custard powder (if you don't have this use vanilla pudding powder or just use more cornstarch)
- 141.74 g sugar
- 141.74 g water
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml evaporated milk
- 29.58 ml oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the first 4 ingredients;
- Beat the eggs and sugar.
- Add milk and water.
- Stir dry ingredients in, add oil last.
- Heat both sides of griddle, add batter to about 80% full.
- Close griddle and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes per side.
- Remove with fork and serve immediately.
- Cooking time is each egg waffle.