1/1 Photo of Egg Waffles 2 or Gai Daan Jai
Popular street food in Hong Kong. These are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Gai Daan Jai (Tsai) means Little Chicken Eggs. Other names include Puffe, Bubble Waffle, Eggettes, Egg Puffs and I am sure there are other names. Served for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Either served flat or rolled with fruit in the center. You must have a special egg waffle pan to make these. You can find a nice one at Williams Sonoma.
My Private Note
egg waf ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon custard powder (substitute with vanilla pudding powder or cornstarch and increase vanilla below)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (substitute with cornstarch if you have none)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Optional any one
- 1Whisk the flour, baking powder, custard powder, tapioca starch, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2Combine the eggs and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- 3Add in the evaporated milk and water and whisk to combine.
- 4Add in the flour mixture and whisk to combine, making sure that all the lumps are whisked out and the mixture is very smooth.
- 5Add in the vanilla extract and vegetable oil and whisk to combine.
- 6Cover the mixture and refrigerate for an hour to let thicken.
- 7Spray each eggette plate with nonstick cooking spray and heat on a stove burner at medium until just hot - you don't want it scorching or the batter will cook too quickly when it hits the pan.
- 8You can stir in any of the optional add-ins like the ones I listed above at this point, right before cooking the batter.
- 9Pour about 3/4 cup of batter on one side of the egg waffle maker, spreading as evenly as possible. Place the other plate on top. Flip the pan over to let the mold fill evenly.
- 10Cook for about 2 1/2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 1/2 minutes.
- 11After the first trial eggette, you can adjust the heat and cooking time to get the doneness you want.
- 12Turn the eggette out onto a wire rack to let cool slightly before eating.
- 13Cooking time is for each egg waffle.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg Waffles 2 or Gai Daan Jai
Serving Size: 1 (772 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.8
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 76.2 mg
- Sodium 265.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 49.3 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: