Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this Tunisian recipe by luck on a Tunisian website. It sounded interesting, my husband loved it, it is now one of our regular meal.
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 onion
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 eggs
- 140 g tuna in brine (1 can)
- 150 g grated cheese
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon harissa or 1 teaspoon paprika
- olive oil
- dried mint
- 3 cups water
- Boil 2 eggs.
- Prepare the meat by seasoning it with salt, pepper, dried mint and let it rest for a little while.
- Stuffing: Mix together the chopped parsley, chopped onion, tuna, cheese, 1 raw egg. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Sauce: Cook 1/4 chopped onion in olive oil until light brown, add the tomato puree and water. Season with salt, pepper and the harissa or paprika. I like to add a little bit of dried chilli. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Divide the meat into 2 balls, flatten them up the palm of your hand until it is 1cm thick.
- Spread the stuffing and add the hard boiled egg in the middle. Do the same with the other ball of meat.
- Now the tricky bit is to close the meat around the egg to form a ball avoiding any holes or the suffing will run during the cooking.
- Secure the balls with kitchen thread.
- Brown the meat balls in a frying pan with not too much oil.
- Add the meat balls to the sauce and let it boil for a little while.
- Put the meat balls and the sauce into an oven dish and cover with aluminium foil and let it cook for 50min at 200°C.
- Turn the balls by time to time so that each sides cook equally.
- Get the balls on a chopping board and let them cool for 15min.
- Take the kitchen thread out and slice the balls into sliced of 1cm thich.
- Serve with the sauce and couscous.