Recipe by That is Dr House to you
The original from Eating Well used chicken broth. Use a light vegetable broth for this. Note Mrs Dash's Lemon Pepper seasoning works very well with this dish.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup Italian pastina, see note
- 12 ounces asparagus
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Use pastina or other tiny pasta, such as alphabet or stars. The asparagus should be trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch diagonal pieces .
- Bring broth to a boil in a soup pot. Stir in pasta. Leave uncovered and cook over medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally and continue cooking until pasta is just tender. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus; cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Break eggs into a large measuring cup and whisk until well blended. [Note Egg Beaters work just fine for this].
- Add to the gently boiling soup in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly with a fork. (Slow stirring will produce large threads; rapid stirring will break the threads up into small pieces.)
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste, adding salt if desire.