1 hr 20 mins
A make-the-night-before breakfast casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 ounces medium mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (if needed)
- 2 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, green onions, and mushrooms; break up sausage as you cook; also may add oil, if needed; cook about 10 minutes, until sausage is no longer pink; set aside.
- 2Put bread cubes in the bottom of an oiled 11 ½ x 8 inch baking dish.
- 3Distribute sausage mixture and cheese over bread.
- 4In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper together.
- 5Pour over bread-sausage mixture.
- 6Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°; bring strata to room temperature.
- 8Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, until set.
- 9Let stand 10 minutes; cut into squares and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg-Sausage Strata
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.9
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 197.6 mg
- Sodium 748.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 18.5 g