Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A make-the-night-before breakfast casserole.
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 ounces medium mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (if needed)
- 2 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, green onions, and mushrooms; break up sausage as you cook; also may add oil, if needed; cook about 10 minutes, until sausage is no longer pink; set aside.
- Put bread cubes in the bottom of an oiled 11 ½ x 8 inch baking dish.
- Distribute sausage mixture and cheese over bread.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper together.
- Pour over bread-sausage mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°; bring strata to room temperature.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, until set.
- Let stand 10 minutes; cut into squares and serve.