Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In ‘400 Best Sandwich Recipes’
- 8 large eggs
- cold water
- ice cube
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 2 cups watercress leaves
- avocado, slices
- tomatoes, slices
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and add enough cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Fill a medium bowl with 1 quart of cold water and ice cubes; transfer eggs to chill for 5 minutes.
- Peel off shells and finely dice eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, mayonnaise, chives, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 2 days to allow flavors to blend and mixture to chill.
- Lightly toast bread and place on a work surface.
- Divide egg salad equally among 4 bread slices.
- Top with watercress, avocados, and tomatoes, if desired, and cover with remaining bread.