Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is Lynne-Rossetto Kasper's recipe and she has described it as a sandwich to "eat-over-the-kitchen-sink". I love that description! Great as a vegetable dip or rolled in lettuce leaves (who needs bread?). The cooking time does not include boiling the eggs or chilling the salad.
- 1⁄4 onion, minced (red is best)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mustard (dark, spicy)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup major grey's chutney (or your favorite, homemade version of thick, mango and ginger chutney)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 14 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped (whole, salted)
- Combine onion, garlic and lemon juice and let stand 15 minutes.
- Add the mustard, celery, chutney and mayonnaise and stir until well-mixed.
- Gently add the eggs and season. Depending on your taste, adjust the lemon and chutney.
- Refrigerate (Lynne suggests 12-24 hours before serving).
- When ready to serve--stir in almonds.
This was so delicious! I will never make egg salad another way again.