Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Egg salad sandwiches with roasted red peppers and capers are rich in beta carotene from the peppers, vitamin K from the lettuce, and B vitamins, fiber and vitamin E from the whole-grain bread.
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup roasted red pepper (from water-packed jar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole grain bread, lightly toasted
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan in a single layer. Add enough water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and plunge them into an ice-water bath (to prevent further cooking). Shell the eggs and chop them into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine next 7 ingredients. Make sure to dice the red peppers and parsley. You also want to drain the capers.
- Mix well. Add eggs and mix gently to combine. Spoon egg salad onto 4 bread slices. Top with lettuce leaves and second slice of bread.
I love this recipe.... I think you may mean four large eggs rather than 1/4 of a large egg. I assumed that, anyway, with good results. Thanks for a twist on a standard!