Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From How to Boil Water on the Food Network. Great combination of flavors.
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, plus extra, if you like, for spreading
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, halved, peeled, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 bunch watercress, stems trimmed
- Cook the eggs 10 minutes in a saucepan of simmering water to cover. Drain, cool under cold running water, and peel. Roughly mash the eggs in a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 4 slices of toast with mayonnaise, if you like. Arrange about 1/4 of the avocado slices on each. Spread each with 1/4 of the egg salad and arrange watercress sprigs on top. Top each sandwich with another slice of toast and serve.
Simple and delicious! I used an oat and bran bread and chose not to toast it as a personal preference, otherwise made as written with the exception of skipping the extra mayo on the bread before assembling. It's a wonderful take on an egg salad sandwich with a delicious combination of flavors that compliment each other well. Thank you for sharing this keeper! :)
I made the egg salad last night, (a lovely blend of flavours) then I halved the recipe and added the egg salad and avocado to fresh rolls, untoasted. This made for a very quick-to-prepare lunch two for today. Love anything with avocado, and this was really delicious. I’ll be making this (in a roll) for take-to-work lunches during the summer. Thanks for sharing!
anyone thought of maybe mashing the avacado and mixing it with the egg, mustard and mayo? Just a thought, I know how slippery avacado can be in a sandwich. lol