Recipe by Glori-B
A dear friend loaned me a copy of "Miriam's Kitchen" in which the author describes her MIL's cooking. One dish that fascinated me was Egg Salad with fried onions, since all the egg salads I had ever had had raw onions. One taste and I was hooked. Over time I added a few things. I hope you enjoy this yummy comfort food!
Top Review by Cookin-jo
The sauteed onions in this egg salad are so unusual, but so good. We really enjoyed this salad. However the 3 Tbsp of oil in the onions was much too much for me. There was too much unnecessary fat. I would also have liked a bit of crunch, maybe from a few green onions or chives. That said this is a good recipe to work on to adjust to personal taste and the fried onions were lovely. Made with real bacon. Thank you!
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- seasoning salt, to taste
- 3 slices vegetarian bacon
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion; then gently brown onions in the cooking oil. When onions are golden, add seasoning salt to taste. Take off heat and cool somewhat. (If I'm in a hurry, I spread them out on a plate and stick them in the fridge for a few minutes.).
- Prepare vegetarian bacon strips according to package directions, which is usually microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Crumble bacon into bits.
- Dice hard boiled eggs.
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly. Check salt level, Adjust seasonings.
- Serve on lettuce leaves or on your favorite bread or matzo. Enjoy!