Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A dear friend loaned me a copy of "Miriam's Kitchen" in which the author describes her MIL's cooking. One dish that fascinated me was Egg Salad with fried onions, since all the egg salads I had ever had had raw onions. One taste and I was hooked. Over time I added a few things. I hope you enjoy this yummy comfort food!
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- seasoning salt, to taste
- 3 slices vegetarian bacon
- salt and pepper
- Dice onion; then gently brown onions in the cooking oil. When onions are golden, add seasoning salt to taste. Take off heat and cool somewhat. (If I'm in a hurry, I spread them out on a plate and stick them in the fridge for a few minutes.).
- Prepare vegetarian bacon strips according to package directions, which is usually microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Crumble bacon into bits.
- Dice hard boiled eggs.
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly. Check salt level, Adjust seasonings.
- Serve on lettuce leaves or on your favorite bread or matzo. Enjoy!
The sauteed onions in this egg salad are so unusual, but so good. We really enjoyed this salad. However the 3 Tbsp of oil in the onions was much too much for me. There was too much unnecessary fat. I would also have liked a bit of crunch, maybe from a few green onions or chives. That said this is a good recipe to work on to adjust to personal taste and the fried onions were lovely. Made with real bacon. Thank you!