Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is so good--even if you have NEVER liked egg salad--ever. It's healthful with the shredded lettuce--quick and tasty and inexpensive for kids. It would probably be a great appetizer or finger sandwich--served on toast rounds with thinly sliced cucumber too.
- To cook eggs:
- Place desired number of eggs [4-8] in pot.
- Cover with water by 1 inch.
- Bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and cover immediately.
- Let stand 12-13 minutes.
- Spoon out one egg at a time into cold water, then refrigerate.
- To assemble the egg salad:.
- Chop peeled egg with knife and then mash with fork OR process in mini-chopper.
- Add mayo to taste.
- Add splashes of red wine vinegar to taste.
- Add celery flakes as desired.
- Add minced sweet onion to taste.
- Add shredded and chopped lettuce to taste.
- Mix to bind.
- Add freshly ground pepper if desired.
- Add salt if you think it needs it.
- This is better chilled and can be served just by itself as a salad OR on lightly toasted bread for a sandwich.
- If you peel and leave an onion in the refrigerator for days, it makes it taste much sweeter.
- You could add pickle juice, minced pickle, mustard or dry mustard, sweet relish, capers as desired as well as paprika for color.
I enjoyed this version of egg salad. I did toast my bread, which was very nice. I absolutely love Vegenaise and used that. The red wine vinegar was a great addition. Thanks for a yummy treat!
Really enjoyed this delightful egg salad, I followed this exactly used mayonnaise, the vinegar (a great touch!) and my own dried celery flakes. Loved the addition of sweet onion, (Vidalia) and put atop a sandwich bread with added fresh salad greens just picked from the garden. Yummy! June 2009