Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from Southern Living. To make a checkerboard effect, use both white and wheat breads.
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 celery rib, diced (can sub 1/8 teaspoon celery seed)
- 4 bacon, slices cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh green onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 slices sandwich bread, lightly toasted (white or wheat thin-type preferred)
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh spinach or 1 cup lettuce
- Stir together 1/3 cup mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients.
- Spread remaining 1/3 cup mayonnaise evenly over 1 side of each bread slice. Spread 4 bread slices, mayonnaise side up, evenly with half of egg salad. Top evenly with half of spinach or lettuce and 4 bread slices.
- Repeat procedure with remaining egg salad, spinach, and bread slices. Cut each sandwich into quarters.
- Alternative Shrimp Salad:.
- Shrimp-Egg Salad Club: Omit bacon. Add 2/3 cup finely chopped boiled shrimp, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Nummy egg salad!! We didn't add celery. Made for I Recommend.
Egg salad is one of DH's favorites and he loved this sandwich. I did use the celery seed, only the green onion, and lettuce instead of spinach. Used white bread for his sandwich and sour dough for mine which was very tasty. Will be making this often! Made and reviewed for Kittencal's Recipe Tag Game.
Great sandwich, tasty and filling! I don't care for onions so left them out and just added a bit more celery. I loved the salty addition of the bacon. Thanks for posting the recipe! Made for ZWT6, Zwizzle Chicks