Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A classic recipe from an old Southern Living cookbook. Very easy to prepare. If you don't have chives, you can subtitute a chopped scallion, or if you don't care for onions, leave it out. Preparation time includes boiling eggs and assembly. Add one hour for chill time.
- 6 eggs, hard boiled
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Chop hard boiled eggs into a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, pickle relish and chives (or onion).
- Mix together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Serve on soft rolls or bread with lettuce as a sandwich.
Great egg salad. I omited the chives and added about 1/4 celery seed. Delish!!!
This is the way my mom has always made this recipe. We sometimes add celery or use different kinds of onions (such as red or white) to change it up a bit. Great classic recipe!
My 12-year old son made this by himself yesterday for lunch. He is getting really good at going to Recipezaar and picking out what he wants to eat and then making it. He gave his sister a little and me a bite, but ate the rest by himself on two sandwiches. Oh well, he's a growing boy! Thanks, Aunt Pam!