1/2 Photos of Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls (Great for the Freezer!)
Sweet Diva's Note:
From "Chinese Cooking the American Way". My mom wasn't much for cooking, but she would make these for me every year on my birthday during my teen years - I always requested them! When I moved out, she gave me the cookbook. I no longer eat egg rolls in restaurants - these are so much better! My kids love to help roll them up - it becomes quite an event when we have them! They freeze very well - my mom used to make up a batch and freeze them in packages of two so that we could take out a couple here and there as we wanted them. It was just the two of us, so that worked well. I have a family of five, so have to double the recipe if I want any left for freezing...These days, I'm always trying to cut fat and calories, so will often set aside some of the filling for myself before making the egg rolls - it's so yummy that it satisfies me and saves my waistline from the frying! Times are a guesstimate, as there are no times listed in the recipe for things like marinating (not included in time estimates) and sauteeing the veggies - and I haven't actually timed myself when I've made them in the past. The next time I make them, I'll try to remember to write times down....the amount of egg rolls will vary depending on how much filling you use for each one. The recipe yields 30-35 according to the cookbook; however, I usually end up with between 18-24 because I put more filling in them....if you do also, you won't need all of the egg roll skins......
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (2 lb) packages egg roll wraps
- 12 ounces ground pork
- 4 ounces shrimp, fresh or 4 ounces frozen shrimp
- 2 cups bean sprouts, fresh
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
Seasoning for Meat
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon gingerroot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Seasoning for Vegetables
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Seasoning for Shrimp
- 1Marinate meat with seasoning; set aside.
- 2Marinate shrimp with seasoing; set aside. (there is no time listed for marinating. I just mix the marinades and meat/shrimp in the morning, put them in the fridge and take them out that evening when I'm ready to cook.).
- 3Saute all vegetables in 2 tablespoons oil over high heat in the following order: cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, yellow onion and bean sprouts. (there is no time listed - I saute the cabbage for a minute or 2, then add the carrots, etc.).
- 4Add seasoning for vegetables; toss to coat.
- 5Stir-fry pork om 2 Tablespoons oil over high heat for 2-3 minutes; add shrimp.
- 6Toss quickly for another minute.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8In a large bowl, mix vegetables, pork and shrimp well. This is the filling for the egg rolls.
- 9To Assemble:.
- 10Lay egg roll skin shiny side up. Spoon 1 1/2 Tablespoons filling in a corner in a sausage shape. (We like fat egg rolls so use more filling than this - if you do also, be aware that you will end up with less egg rolls!).
- 11Fold corner of skin over the filling until just covered. Turn again to enclose filling, forming a cylinder.
- 12Moisten left and right corners with beaten egg yolk of an egg, or paint entirely around the remaining edges.
- 13Roll into a complete cylinder shape. Press firmly to seal.
- 14To freeze:.
- 15Deep fry in 375 degree oil until lightly browned, cool completely. Place in Zip-lock freezer bag; seal tightly and freeze.
- 16Thawed rolls can be reheated at 300 degrees - I'm sorry but there's not a time given! I think I usually warm them from 15 - 20 minutes, but I can't promise that's the perfect timing).
- 17To Cook and Serve:.
- 18Place egg rolls in hot oil for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Browse Our Top Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls (Great for the Freezer!)
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.1 mg
- Sodium 718.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 9.1 g