Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple & delicious ! I have seen a lot of foo foo & unnecessary fuss going into making Egg Rolls on TV. You don't need to pre cook the filling, you don't need special tools or fancy egg wash to seal the rolls. Just make them clean, healthy & tasty & enjoy them. Try them with my "Dipping Sauce" & my "Sweet & Spicy Dipping Sauce".
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1⁄2 of a medium to large cabbage
- 1 cup julienne carrot
- 2 green onions
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 egg roll wraps (usually 1 pack)
- Cut cabbage into 4 wedges, remove heart & chop very finely (as for coleslaw).
- Roughly chop julienne carrots & finely chop green onions.
- Throw all ingredients into mixer & mix on low for 1 or 2 minutes (if you don't have a mixer just mix by hand but squeeze & crush cabbage so it's soft).
- Remove 1/4 of your mix to a separate bowl & make 5 egg rolls to check that you are putting an equal amount of filling into each, this ensures that you don't run out of filling before wrappers.
- Place the pile of egg roll wrappers in a diamond shape in front of you with a small bowl or glass of water & just use your finger moisten the top two edges of the wrapper with water.
- Take a heaped desert spoon of mixture & place it in the center of the wrapper.
- Bring the bottom of the wrapper up to the top over the filling & lightly pull back so that you use the wrapper to form the filling into a log & so the filling is just below the center of the wrapper with the bottom of wrapper covering most of the filling.
- Flip the sides of the wrapper in & over the bottom of the wrapper then roll the whole thing forward to finish & seal the roll.
- Fry the egg rolls in small batches of 4 to 6, moving them constantly until they are golden brown, float well to the top of oil or reach internal temp of 155°F.