Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
These egg rolls are really delicious. Served with soy sauce or plum sauce.
EGG ROLL WRAPS
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 16 ounces bean sprouts (drained)
- 2 cups cabbage, and carrot mixture
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg roll wraps
- oil (for deep frying)
- EGG ROLL WRAPS.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well and add eggs and water.
- Stir with a fork until dough holds together and leaves bowl clean.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth - about 5 minutes.
- Cover dough with the bowl and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Divide into fourths. Dust pastry board with cornstarch. Roll each fourth to a 14 x 11 inch rectangle. Cut into 3 1/2 inch squares. (The cornstarch prevents them from sticking together). Makes 24.
- Stir fry chopped chicken in the sesame oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bean sprouts, cabbage, carrot, green onions, and water chestnuts.
- Stir fry for 4-5 minutes longer. Combine soy sauce and cornstarch. Stir into chicken mixture.
- Stir in grated ginger root, sugar, and salt.
- Keep stirring until mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place 1/4 cup filling on a egg roll wrapper.
- Fold one corner towards the center over the filling. Fold side corners in to form an envelope that holds the mixture in . Roll up jelly roll style.
- Heat the oil to 360°F Deep fry a few egg rolls at a time for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
- Drain well on paper toweling before serving. Serve warm. Mixture makes 12.