Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I couldn't reallly find an egg roll recipe on here that i liked, maybe i didn't search hard enough. But I've been tinkering with different ingredients and this is what i like! Not too chock full of veggies like the one's at the restaraunts!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I also add 1 TB of the garlic and ginger stirfry sauce)
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts, washed
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 lb egg roll wrap
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Brown pork with sesame oil, when no longer pink, add ginger and garlic.
- Add veggies, soy sauce, sherry, and oyster sauce. Cook until sprouts are translucent or kind of see through. Set aside to cool.
- When cool put 2 Tb filling on 1 egg roll wrapper. Add water to beaten egg, this is for brushing the edge of the wrapper so it will stick/stay closed.
- Face wrapper with corner facing you, so that it looks like a diamond. Fold corner over filling, tuck in sides and roll up. Brush the top of the wrapper, the one with folded corner up, with egg mixture so will stay closed. Should only take one swipe.
- Heat deep fryer with oil. You can try a skillet with about 1-2 cups of oil. Fry at once, or put in Ziplock bags and freeze, these are actually better to fry frozen, as they retain their filling better.
- Fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minute Careful, they burn easily!
I have made these eggrolls twice. Instead of all pork, I used part ground chicken and chopped shrimp. I am not a huge fan of the bean sprouts so I omitted those and I used a .79 pack of dried mushrooms (boiled in water) and they turned out fantastic for the second time.
I love that these don't have cabbage in them. I made as written but didn't add the water chestnuts in with mine, as I don't really like the crunch. They came out just the way we like them. This is a winner and a new favorite of ours now! Made along with Authentic Pork Lo Mein - Chinese and General Tso's Chicken (Tso Chung Gai). Great combo for an excellent Chinese meal.
These egg rolls are exactly what I've been looking for! I can't stand the cabbage filled egg rolls, and my favorite chinese restaurant that had this kind went out of business ten years ago. I didn't have pork in the house, so I substituted a couple of scrambled eggs. I also stuffed them a little bigger than instructed (about 1/4 C of filling each) then double wrapped them to ensure a nice crispy crust along with a softer inside layer. I wish I could give more than 5 stars, these are amazing!! Thank you so much Jessica!