Recipe by Dib's
A very good crust for quiches and tarts, very rich, crisp and buttery. It can be made by hand.
Top Review by Shazzie
A nice, buttery pastry and not too heavy. I used it for a pear and apple pie and it was very pleasant. However, in future, I think I would rather use this pastry for a savoury tart or pie. Thank you for a quick and easy recipe :)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup very cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup very cold margarine
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 egg
- ice cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to mix well.
- With the motor OFF, cut in the cold butter and margarine.
- Pulse until the fats are in about 1/4 inch pieces.
- Put the lemon juice OR vinegar and the egg, beaten into a measuring cup and add enough ice water to make 1/2 cup.
- Start your processor and feed water in a slow stream through the tube.
- Watch what your doing as you may not need all the liquid, because as soon as the dough begins to gather together stop the machine.
- The dough does not have to form a ball but it should be soft and silken.
- Turn dough out onto waxed paper, form into two balls, wrap and chill for 30 minutes.