Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a recipe that I found on another website, changed it a little to better suit my taste in alcohol, and reposted here. The original recipe came from allrecipes.com by a user named nataliesmom.
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups spiced rum
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 4 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in spiced rum, bourbon, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
I made this the other day. Unfortunately, it was too strong alcohol wise for our taste, but I would make again cutting down on alcohol by reducing to half at least. Try as you go. I like how this uses cooked egg yolks. Thank you.
This egg nog is delicious. I love that it is made from scratch cause it makes me feel like I'm in Victorian times. I made it for last Christmas and my BF liked it so much that I have to make it again even if the holidays are over. He will probably invent a new holiday meant for drinking egg nog. Thank you so much!