Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been wanting to post it since this spring but never got around to it. I found it in my April 2003 issue of Iowa REC News. Miss gracie I hope your mom will give it a try. There are other "something's missing" recipes that was with this one I'll have to get busy and post them. This recipe is from Judy Conner of IL.
- Boil raisins, water, brown sugar, lard, cinnamon and cloves for 3 minutes.
- Let stand and cool.
- Add baking soda dissolved in a little water.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour into greased and floured cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
absolutely delicious! great for nursing mothers who are avoiding eggs & dairy...and so simple. it really got more moist each day it sat; which wasn' t for many.
My grandmother has a recipe similar to this...hers is called War Cake, because it was commonly made during the war, when rationing made some ingredients difficult or impossible to get in England. As children, we always enjoyed this spicy treat.