Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve with fresh asparagus for lunch or a light supper.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 cups white rice, cooked (without salt)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, stir and cook celery, green pepper and onions in butter until tender.
- Add flour and salt, stir until blended.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Gently stir in chopped eggs.
- Spoon rice onto bottom of a 2-quart greased baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over rice.
- Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Top with cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking time.