Karen's Krazy Kitchen's Note:
This is a really thick, quick and comforting soup that is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The key to making this soup is to have everything prepped before you start cooking because it comes together really fast. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the hottest, I would say this is a 6. See my notes below on ways I change up the ingredients, depending on what I have on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 small corn tortillas, toasted until a bit dark and broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (or cilantro)
- 1/2 lime, zested
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, cracked into separate ramekins
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Heat oil, cayenne pepper, chile powder, and paprika over medium heat in a medium saucepot for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the chopped garlic and cook for two minutes.
- 3Add the tortilla pieces and stir until they have absorbed most of the oil, about 30 seconds.
- 4Add the chicken stock, parsley, lime zest, salt and pepper and simmer at a low boil for 6 minutes.
- 5Add the eggs to the soup, cover and poach for 3 1/2 minutes (or to your liking).
- 6To serve, place each egg in a bowl, cover with 1/2 of the soup and top with the lime juice and cheese.
- 7Note: Depending on what I have on hand, I change the recipe by:.
- 8Making it with beef stock.
- 9Substituting 1/2 cup of stock with tomato juice.
- 10Adding in about a cup of left over carrots, corn and/or chopped tomatoes while heating the spices.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg, Garlic and Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.0
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 233.8 mg
- Sodium 300.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 19.4 g