Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have a severe egg allergy (my face blows up like a pumpkin). I came up with this recipe as I wanted to share a Spaghetti Pie with my family and eat it too! Use your own spaghetti sauce recipe OR a bottle, just remember to add 1/2 a cup of the spaghetti water to the "cheese sauce" so it spreads well, I use a ground parmesan cheese as it was easier to measure. Turkey mince would work well here too.
- 400 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups of prepared pasta sauce (from a jar)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup water (from the cooking pasta)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, OR
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 500 g pasta (your choice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Fry the meat and onions together, break up the beef so there are no lumps.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 40-60 seconds).
- Add the pasta sauce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar and salt. Reduce heat and simmer while the pasta is cooking.
- Prepare the pasta BUT, slightly undercook as it will be baked and will continue to cook in the oven,.
- Prepare the cheese sauce by adding the softened cream cheese (about 20 seconds in the microwave will do it), the sour cream, parmesan cheese and the parsley or spring onions and mix.
- Spray a 10 cup baking dish with oil, place the almost cooked pasta on the bottom.
- Cover with spoonfuls of the cheese sauce, place a spoonful in each corner and continue until all used and the pasta is covered (if not covered, spread out).
- Top with the prepared meat sauce and finally the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 180oC (360oF) for 30 minutes.
- Best served with a crispy salad and fresh crusty bread.