This recipe fits the bill in my search for egg-free quick breads. It tastes great fresh from the oven. You can make this vegan by using maple syrup instead of honey, and soy milk. It is not a "sweet" bread, so if you want to make it sweeter, increase the amount of honey.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Lightly grease and dust a 9x5x3-inch loaf tin.
- Grind oats in a food processor or blender to form a meal/flour.
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, whole-wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together honey and vegetable oil to form an emulsion; then stir in the milk and mix well until dissolved.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a moist, viscous batter.
- Pour/spoon batter into prepared loaf tin and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the top starts to brown slightly.
- Remove from loaf tin, cool completely on a wire rack and cut into slices (20 slices is the original yield).
- Serve with honey, butter, syrup, or applesauce; or use in sandwiches.