Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
From Vegetarian Times, March 2008. An optional Chocolate Drizzle recipe is included in the instructions. (Like I *need* more banana bread recipes! :) I can't seem to get enough of them.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- Preheat over to 350°F
- Coat a 9x5 loaf pan, three 6x3 mini loaf pans or a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, mashed banana, oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Fold the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into the desired prepared pans.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean: Large loaf 50 to 60 minutes, Mini-loaves 35 to 45 minutes, or Muffins 18 to 22 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in pans.
- Unmold and cool completely.
- Drizzle with Chocolate Drizzle of desired.
- Chocolate Drizzle:
- Melt 1 ounce chopped bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler or in microwave at low (20%) power. Drizzle over cooled loaf or muffin.
Yum! I made these when I was out of eggs. I also ran out of all-purpose flour so I substituted whole wheat flour for all the flour and the result was a moist and delicious muffin with a good amount of chocolate and banana punch. I think these would be excellent with some toasted nuts or even some chocolate chips. Thanks!