Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup banana (mashed)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat 9x5 inch loaf pan (or 12-cup muffin tin) with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mashed banana, oil and vanilla.
- Fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan(s). Bake loaf 50-60 minutes (or muffins 18-22 mins).
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, before serving.
Very gooey. No taste.
Made for PAC spring 2008. I love recipes that have no egg, it never fails when I really want to bake something I have no eggs in the fridge!!! I thought this was a lovely moist and tasty bread not too sweet. I ended up using 1 cup of mashed banana's (3 medium) and I also added 1/2 tsp of baking powder (thanks to mikekey's review). I also used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all purpose. It took about 55 minutes in my oven. At 35 minutes into cooking I sprinkled the top with a crushed milk chocolate and almond bar. My kids are in chocolate heaven :) :)
This is a nice change from plain banana bread. I made a couple of changes. I was a little short on bananas (only had 1/2 cup) so topped off with unsweetened applesauce to make the 3/4 cup, and after looking at previous photos, decided to add 1/2 teas. baking powder with the baking soda to make it rise more. As an extra, I topped with chopped pecans before baking. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.