Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 cup meat, barbecued (your choice)
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced into strips
- 6 eggs
- salt & pepper
- 1 g msg (optional)
- 2 cups chicken or 2 cups beef soup stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients except eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add eggs to mixture and blend together.
- Heat enough oil to cover bottom of large skillet.
- Form patties using approximately 1/3 cup of mixture.
- Fry until brown on both sides turning only once.
- Heat liquid for gravy in small saucepan.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Pour over patties and serve hot.
- * Use leftover barbecued pork, chicken, beef or ham.
This was my first time every making/having Egg Foo Yung so I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily, my husband was home early enough to give me the details of how this dish should be. I madethe recipe vegetarian and added some extra vegetables (mushrooms, green pepper) in place of the meat. I also added some 5 spice powder in addition to salt & pepper. I had a bit of a difficult time with the sauce, it just wasn't thickening as expected to. I ended up adding more cornstarch, as well as a bit of Soy Sauce and a tiny tad of my Gingered Herb Vinegar. The sauce thickened - the egg's were foo'd and it was very good. Thank you! :)