Recipe by sdowswell
This is a lighter version of the usual Egg Drop soup, as it's not thickened with cornstarch before serving. It's super easy, and even passes the toddler test for likability!
Top Review by bill mayes
This is a very easy recipe to make.. I Like the thicker type better than this recipe was. DW did not like it much. I thought it was good.Next time I will thicken it. The taste was mild and needed some salt and pepper. I used some soy sauce..Thanks for the recipe sdowswell.
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup bok choy or 1⁄4 cup Baby Spinach, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 green onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped fine
- soy sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine stock, ginger and garlic in a medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Combine eggs and green onion in a small bowl and beat lightly.
- Once boiling, add bok choi or spinach and let simmer until tender.
- While stirring soup, slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the still simmering soup. The faster you stir and the slower you drizzle, the finer the egg's consistency will be.
- Continue to simmer for a 1-2 minutes to ensure that the egg is thoroughly cooked, then remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Also season with soy sauce to taste if a more Chinese flavour is desired. (I prefer to omit this ingredient as I prefer a more vietnamese flavour).
- Divide into individual bowls and garnish with cilantro.