Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This impressive and delicious mold is perfect for a holiday gathering. I must admit that I seldom use caviar due to the comments of several grandchildren! I make this in a star mold and it is so pretty with the yellow, red and green colors. The recipe came from a friend about thirty years ago. Cooking time is for chilling....not counting preparing the hard boiled eggs.
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons grated onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (2 ounce) jar black caviar (optional)
- In large bowl, soften gelatin in cold water for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add boiling water, stir to dissolve.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, grate eggs; add mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, pimentos and green pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Add egg mixture to gelatin, stirring to blend.
- Coat a 2 quart mold with cooking spray.
- Pour egg mixture into mold and chill until firm.
- Unmold onto a platter; cover top with sour cream and caviar, if using.
- Serve with crackers that are not highly seasoned, so the flavors don't compete with one another.
- Club crackers or sourdough bagel chips are good.