Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A thrifty way to use up those Easter eggs. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash paprika
- 4 eggs, hard-cooked
- cracker crumb
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- oil (for frying)
- Peel and chop hard-boiled eggs.
- Melt butter in a double boiler; add flour and stir until blended.
- Add milk and seasonings; cook until mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat and add hard-cooked eggs.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oil to 365°F.
- When cold, shape egg mixture into croquettes; roll in cracker crumbs, dip in egg and again in crumbs.
- Fry in fat until golden (approximately 5 minutes).