Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This egg bread recipe comes from Merridee's Cookbook. Merridee's is a family owned bakery and restaurant in the town of Franklin, TN. They sell homemade breads, rolls, pies and sandwiches.
- Dissolve dry milk in hot water, add butter, honey, salt and eggs.
- Mix well and determine temperature of mixture. Add warmer or cooler water (1/2 cup) to bring temperature to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and stir well.
- Mix in about 5 cups of the flour; beat well until mixture falls in sheets from spoon.
- Then add 2 1/2 - 3 cups more flour or until just stiff enough to knead.
- Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. This will take 8-10 minutes. Use as little flour as possible without letting stickiness overcome you.
- Place in greased, covered plastic bin or large bowl in warm place.
- Let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again until almost double.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and divide into three parts. Round each part into a smooth ball. Let rest, covered for a few minutes then form into loaves.
- Meridees divides each ball into three parts, rolls into ropes and braids together pinching ends securely. They then place into greased loaf pans, let rise until double and bake at 325 degrees until nicely browned, about 25 minutes.
- I make dinner crescents by rolling dough into a 12 inch circle and using a pizza cutter cut 12-16 pieces. Starting at wide end, roll up each piece and place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise until double and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
We enjoyed this bread and it tasted very good but I did somewhat guess at the amount of yeast. As written it says 3 tbsp or 2 pkgs of yeast. 3 tbsp is 9 tsp and I thought that was perhaps a typo so I added 4 1/2 tsp from a jar and that seemed to work well. I made them in standard loaf pans and the bread was quite light with a soft crust. It was a perfect accompaniment to Beef Barley Soup for lunch. Thank you for sharing the recipe :)