1/2 Photos of Egg Bread
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This egg bread recipe comes from Merridee's Cookbook. Merridee's is a family owned bakery and restaurant in the town of Franklin, TN. They sell homemade breads, rolls, pies and sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve dry milk in hot water, add butter, honey, salt and eggs.
- 2Mix well and determine temperature of mixture. Add warmer or cooler water (1/2 cup) to bring temperature to lukewarm.
- 3Add yeast and stir well.
- 4Mix in about 5 cups of the flour; beat well until mixture falls in sheets from spoon.
- 5Then add 2 1/2 - 3 cups more flour or until just stiff enough to knead.
- 6Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. This will take 8-10 minutes. Use as little flour as possible without letting stickiness overcome you.
- 7Place in greased, covered plastic bin or large bowl in warm place.
- 8Let rise until double in bulk.
- 9Punch down and let rise again until almost double.
- 10Turn out on lightly floured board and divide into three parts. Round each part into a smooth ball. Let rest, covered for a few minutes then form into loaves.
- 11Meridees divides each ball into three parts, rolls into ropes and braids together pinching ends securely. They then place into greased loaf pans, let rise until double and bake at 325 degrees until nicely browned, about 25 minutes.
- 12I make dinner crescents by rolling dough into a 12 inch circle and using a pizza cutter cut 12-16 pieces. Starting at wide end, roll up each piece and place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise until double and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1774 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1459.4
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 182.0 mg
- Sodium 1747.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 268.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 46.8 g