Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A family favorite.
- 4 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 4 ounces green chilies, minced drained
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Divide croutons, cheese, onion, pepper,and green chilies between two greased 9-inch square baking pans.
- In bowl, combine eggs, milk, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Slowly pour liquid over crouton/veggie mixture.
- Top with bacon.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 36 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Versatile and delicious !! This was an early dinner tonight and I used a big handful of basil instead of the pepper and my croutons were a mix of multi grain and gluten free. Definitely will be made again!!
What a wonderful breakfast casserole!!! Just loved all the flavors in this dish. I made this very scaled back to serve 2. I had a green pepper that needed to be used, so used it instead of the red, but I know the red would have been great on the eye. I loved using the croutons instead of having to break up bread etc for other recipes. I used a butter/garlic flavored crouton so I did go light with the garlic salt. I think this will be the recipe I use for our next brunch on Christmas morning. Thanks for sharing the recipe WiGal!!! Made for Holiday Tag Game.