Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not only for breakfast...it's great for any meal of the day. It's hearty and delicious and my family requests it often! Hope you try it :)
- Have your bacon cooked and crumbled and set aside.
- Place vegetable oil (or you can use bacon drippings) in a non-stick 12" skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Pour potatoes into pan and press down evenly.
- Fry about 10 minutes until underside is brown and crispy.
- As carefully as you can flip potatoes over.
- If you can't do this in one piece, try to do it in thirds or fourths, but try to keep them from falling apart.
- Press potatoes down in pan evenly.
- Make 5 to 6 two inch holes, or openings into the potatoes, evenly spaced.
- Drop an egg into each hole.
- You can add a little butter to each hole before dropping the eggs in, if you like.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over all.
- Sprinkle bacon and then cheese evenly over top.
- Cover until eggs are set.
- Serve in pan with toast or bagels on the side and enjoy!
What a great Sunday Brunch dish! I served it with sliced raw sweet onions and sliced tomatoes, toasted bagels on the side and homemade strawberry freezer jam. I used fresh potatoes for the hash browns and soaked them well in water to remove the startch so they wouldn't turn brown. MMMmmm THANK-YOU Karen
Our family very much enjoyed this for Easter. I used diced hash browns and found 1/2 lb. of bacon was plenty. I had some trouble trying to turn potatoes in one piece but it didn't matter as once all turned they easily pressed down evenly again. I served this with hot cross buns and fresh fruit. The response was Please don't wait until next Easter to make again! Many thanks Karen.
Fantastic idea! Can't believe I never thought of it. I use a plate to flip the potatoes. Just put a regular or paper plate over the frypan and hold it firmly. Turn over so potatoes flip onto plate. Then just slide the "pancake" back into the frypan. This was delicious. I used the bacon drippings for the oil - YUM! I live alone so I portioned the dish into 5 servings and refridgerated the rest for breakfast all week. Great time saver. Definite keeper! Thanks, Lee