Prep 13 hrs
Cook 40 mins
From the Weekend magazine. This is a South Indian speciality served at breakfast in many homes in S.India. It may also be enjoyed as an evening snack.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1⁄2 cup cooked parboiled rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- sunflower oil
- 4 -6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coarsely crushed peppercorn
- Soak the rice for 5 hours.
- Drain rice.
- Mix with the cooked rice, coconut milk, sugar and yeast.
- Grind together to a smooth batter.
- Leave the mixture to ferment for 8 hours.
- Pour a ladleful of batter in the center of a deep-bottomed wok.
- Spread the batter quickly by swirling it in a continuous spiral movement.
- Pour a little oil all around the edges.
- Let it cook to form a fluffy vellapam.
- Quickly break an egg in the center of the vellappam.
- Cook on low heat until the egg is cooked.
- Gently lift off the egg vellappam from the pan.
- Place it on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle pepper on the egg.
- Serve hot.