Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another recipe using lime pickle that I want to try - from deliaonline.com. If anyone has any suggestions of how to simplify this, I am very interested.
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled
- 3 ounces green lentils
- 3 ounces creamed coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime pickle, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small red chile, de-deeded and finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, finely grated
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons other mild oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 150 ml rice, cooked
- lime pickle
- mango chutney (optional)
- Peel onion, cut it in half and into thin slices. Set aside.
- Combine chili, garlic, lime pickle, ginger root and lime zest in prep bowl as follows: De-seed and finely chop the chili. Put in a prep bowl. Add peeled, chopped garlic, finely chopped lime pickle, finely grated ginger and lime zest. Add turmeric and fenugreek.
- Shred creamed coconut with a sharp knife and placed in a heatproof 4 cup measuring jug. Cover with boiling water up to 1 pint (570 ml) Stir.
- Heat frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, measure the whole spices (cardamom, cumin, fennel and coriander) into it. Dry roast spices for 2 - 3 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time to toss them around a bit. Don't roast too long. Remove from the heat and put into a mortar. Crush.
- Heat same pan over medium high and add the oil. When hot, add the onions. Brown onions until fairly dark – about 4 minute Add chili etc. from prep bowl, ground roasted spices and coconut water mixture and lentils.
- Cover and simmer as gently as possible for 45 minutes, stirring it now and then (don't add any salt at this stage).
- While lentils are cooking, hard boil eggs. Cool under running cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel under the running water and slice in half.
- When the sauce is ready, season it well with salt and add the lime juice.
- Put the eggs on top of the sauce, and cook covered for a couple of minutes to heat eggs.
- Serve the egg curry with rice, some more lime pickle and perhaps some mango chutney to add a touch of sweetness.