Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another recipe using lime pickle that I want to try - from deliaonline.com. If anyone has any suggestions of how to simplify this, I am very interested.
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled
- 3 ounces green lentils
- 3 ounces creamed coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime pickle, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small red chile, de-deeded and finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, finely grated
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons other mild oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 150 ml rice, cooked
- lime pickle
- mango chutney (optional)
- Peel onion, cut it in half and into thin slices. Set aside.
- Combine chili, garlic, lime pickle, ginger root and lime zest in prep bowl as follows: De-seed and finely chop the chili. Put in a prep bowl. Add peeled, chopped garlic, finely chopped lime pickle, finely grated ginger and lime zest. Add turmeric and fenugreek.
- Shred creamed coconut with a sharp knife and placed in a heatproof 4 cup measuring jug. Cover with boiling water up to 1 pint (570 ml) Stir.
- Heat frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, measure the whole spices (cardamom, cumin, fennel and coriander) into it. Dry roast spices for 2 - 3 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time to toss them around a bit. Don't roast too long. Remove from the heat and put into a mortar. Crush.
- Heat same pan over medium high and add the oil. When hot, add the onions. Brown onions until fairly dark – about 4 minute Add chili etc. from prep bowl, ground roasted spices and coconut water mixture and lentils.
- Cover and simmer as gently as possible for 45 minutes, stirring it now and then (don't add any salt at this stage).
- While lentils are cooking, hard boil eggs. Cool under running cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel under the running water and slice in half.
- When the sauce is ready, season it well with salt and add the lime juice.
- Put the eggs on top of the sauce, and cook covered for a couple of minutes to heat eggs.
- Serve the egg curry with rice, some more lime pickle and perhaps some mango chutney to add a touch of sweetness.
This is a great recipe though I had to modify it significantly. I used 1 cup of lentils, 1 can of coconut milk, 2 cans of water, and a packet of Golden Curry instead of the curry seasonings. Also I could not find pickled lime so I had to leave that off all together. Added a teaspoon of lemon juice just before serving over rice. Children and husband all loved it and we will be making it regularly. This is our first Delia recipe but are planning to work our way through her "How to Cook" this year.
I make this very often and it is delicious, I use coconut milk from a can and put all the whole spices into a coffee mill to grind - pestle and mortar takes forever. It actually takes less time than it sounds but it is well worth it.