Recipe by Catherine Robson
If I ask the kids to choose what they would like for dinner - they always ask for "Egg & Lemon soup... the one with the meat balls" I have tampered with this recipe so much that the print-out is all but scribble. We like our soup with zing & custard like thickness.
- 700 g lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 5 large eggs (1 for the meatballs & 4 for the soup)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 8 cups water
- 7 teaspoons chicken stock
- 115 g dill (I use a tube of dill paste)
- 1 large onion (peeled & roughly chopped)
- 3 large carrots (peeled & roughly chopped)
- 2 zucchini (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup risoni (small rice shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot combine water, chicken stock & dill paste & bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile make meatballs - combine ground beef, crushed garlic, dried oregano, 1 egg, salt & white pepper.
- Knead mixture & roll into tablespoon sized meatballs & place on a clean plate as you go.
- Once the stock is boiling, drop the meatballs into the pot one by one & then add onion, carrots& zucchini.
- Stir & return to the boil.
- Drop heat down to a simmer & place lid on pot. Cook for approx 40 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the risoni pasta & cook for 8 minutes with lid on.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl whisk the 4 remaining eggs & slowly drizzle the lemon juice in as you go.
- Once the pasta is cooked, slowly drizzle 3 ladles of the hot soup into the eggs whisking as you go ( you may need a helper).
- Then stir the egg mixture into the soup over a low heat until it thickens nicely. (Do not let the soup boil or the soup will split).
- Serve immediately & enjoy.