These are my husbands favourite pinwheels. They are based on his love of ham & egg sandwiches :) These can also be eaten as a wrap for lunch. I haven't included chilling time in prep or cooking time.
- 4 tortillas (I use whatever is available, tomato, spinach or plain)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (or salad dressing or heavy cream)
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley (chopped) (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 125 g cream cheese (I like to use a garlic & herb one or sometimes I use a flavoured hummus, chargrilled capsicum or a t)
- 200 g ham (shaved or very thinly sliced from the deli)
- Place the eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to boil then simmer for about 5-6 minutes to hard boil them.
- Remove from heat and run under cold water, then crack & remove shells. I do this under the running cold water. (starting at the pointed end should make it easier).
- Place shelled eggs into a bowl and add the butter, parsley if using, salt & pepper and mayonnaise or whatever you choose to moisten the mixture with and mash with a fork (I find using a pastry blender makes this an easy job) until a spreading consistency is reached. Sometimes you may need a little more mayonnaise or cream. Don't make into a smooth paste though.
- Spread the tortillas with a layer of cream cheese.
- Spread over this a layer of mashed egg.
- Lay on top of this the shaved ham.
- Roll up the tortillas tightly like a sponge roll and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in fridge for at least 2 hours or can be left overnight.
- Remove plastic and place the roll seam side down on the cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut off a piece each end of the rolls to neaten, then slice into approx 1-inch slices.
- Arrange on platter and serve. I like to place one layer on plate then arrange another layer on top, slightly in from the edge of the bottom ones. Continue up with another layer until all are used.
- Top with a sprig of parsley.
This is GREAT, true! Low fat and healthy too! Used low fat Philly, garlic and cheese! Simple and certainly did please! HELPFUL hint: Place tortillas on paper towel, in microwave for 15 seconds, TRUE! You'll be glad as are ALOT easier to spread and roll too!
This is something I should have thought of, but didn't, so thank you, Jen T! I sprinkled fresh herbs on plain cream cheese - dill, scallions, tarragon, shiso, thyme - so each of the logs is a little different. We devoured two of the logs tonight, and are having a hard time keeping our hands off the remaining two, which are intended for lunch tomorrow. Leave a margin around the tortilla, so that you could roll it a bit easier without the filling squishing out. Also, I found it easiest to slice by placing the roll seam down on the cutting board and using a serrated knife.
I scaled this back for 2 tortillas using 2 eggs and wholegrain tortillas ortherwise made as per recipe and the DM and I enjoyed as a light lunch with a salad on the side. Thank you Jen T made for I Recommend tag game and recommended by duonyte.