Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this recipe about 10 years ago in the "Working Woman's Cookbook" It makes alot, and has been a hit at picnics.
- 10 ounces frozen green peas
- 8 hardboiled egg, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or 3 cups white rice
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 2 ounces diced pimentos
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill weed
- paprika (optional)
- Rinse peas under cold water to separate; drain.
- In a very large bowl mix together peas, eggs, rice, celery, onion, cheese, and pimiento.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dill weed.
- Toss with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, but no longer than 24 hours.
A good summer staple for picnics and potlucks, I've made this many times in years past. I usually add a bit of garlic, use chopped green onion instead of white or yellow, Dijon, and add a sprinkle of cayenne for a little kick. Thanks for reminding me of the recipe!
Wonderful dish... It works well in wraps or a picnic salad... I substituted finely chopped pickles for the pimento and used miracle whip rather than mayonnaise... Thanks!
Yum, yum, yum -- this salad recipe is a treat. As reviewers suggest, it can be changed - and we did. We used half the mayonnaise and omitted the peas. We may adapt it further for our use. So far, it impressed our family and a luncheon party. Well done Kathy!