Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great for a low-carb breakfast or lunch dish, this dish features fresh asparagus baked with eggs in shallow individual casseroles or ramekins.
- 12 asparagus spears
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- In a wide frying pan, bring about 1 inch water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; then cut spears into 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook, uncovered, until just tender when pierced (3 to 5 minutes). Drain well.
- Divide asparagus among 4 well-buttered 4- to 5-inch-wide ovenproof dishes. Carefully break 2 eggs over asparagus in each dish. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cream over eggs in each dish. Then sprinkle eggs evenly with lemon peel, and with salt and cayenne to taste.
- Set dishes on a baking sheet and bake in a 450°F oven until eggs are done to your liking (5 to 7 minutes for firm whites and soft yolks). Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bake for 1 more minute. Serve at once.