Great for a low-carb breakfast or lunch dish, this dish features fresh asparagus baked with eggs in shallow individual casseroles or ramekins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a wide frying pan, bring about 1 inch water to a boil over high heat.
- 2Meanwhile, snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; then cut spears into 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook, uncovered, until just tender when pierced (3 to 5 minutes). Drain well.
- 3Divide asparagus among 4 well-buttered 4- to 5-inch-wide ovenproof dishes.
- 4Carefully break 2 eggs over asparagus in each dish.
- 5Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cream over eggs in each dish.
- 6Then sprinkle eggs evenly with lemon peel, and with salt and cayenne to taste.
- 7Set dishes on a baking sheet and bake in a 450 deg oven until eggs are done to your liking (5 to 7 minutes for firm whites and soft yolks).
- 8Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bake for 1 more minute. Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg and Asparagus Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.3
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 454.3 mg
- Sodium 343.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 18.7 g