Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Okay maybe a little effort, but so delicious! Another recipe from my Grandmother that is fantastic! The kids devoured it last night, so I may have to increase it next time. The only change I would make to this recipe is to add another can of tomato sauce and maybe a little more water to have it be a little more saucey.
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 12 small white boiling onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 potatoes, cut into eighths
- 6 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 -7 large mushrooms, quartered
- 1 slice white bread, cubed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut beef into bite size pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in casserole; cover and bake at 250 for five hours.
- *Fora richer sauce, meat may be browned first before combining with other ingredients (I highly recommend this step!).