Recipe by Trinkets
This shrimp appetizer is fantastic! Cold and refreshing with the zingy flavors of lime, cilantro and a kick of jalapeno make this the perfect hot weather hors d'oeurve. The amount of peppers you add are up to you but this recipe was made with kids in mind (Southern kids who like a little spice in their food!). Try this with Margaritas or ice cold beer (lemonade for the kids)! Most of the cooking time is chilling time in the fridge. Next time we'll try grilling the shrimp instead of boiling for another flavor dimension.
- 5 lbs fresh shrimp
- 7 limes
- 1⁄2 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 2 -3 fresh jalapenos
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil and add the shrimp.
- Bring to a boil again and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp and rinse to stop the cooking.
- Peel as soon as the shrimp are cool enough to handle.
- Mince the onion, garlic, and jalapenos, chop the cilantro and add to the olive oil in a large bowl.
- Squeeze the limes and add to the bowl along with the shrimp and sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Serve with toothpicks and plenty of napkins.