Recipe by Trinkets
Whole Sirloin is a great buy at our local grocery and this is the meat we use in Trinket's Special Chili. Start with a 9-10 lb sirloin. We rub it down and smoke/grill the meat in the Big Green Egg with a combination of pecan wood and charcoal. You don't have a Big Green Egg? I am so sorry. But you could use your grill, I suppose.
- 9 -10 lbs whole sirloin
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, rough chopped
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup onion powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 4 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mash together the 1st 3 ingredients.
- Add the other dry ingredients, except the salt, and mix well.
- Then add the vinegar and slowly add the olive oil, mixing well, until mixture forms a thick paste.
- Make slits all over the meat.
- Salt the meat and then rub with the paste.
- Make sure the rub gets into the crevices and slits.
- Heat your grill to 500 degrees.
- Place the meat on the grill, close the lid and immediately drop the temperature to 300.
- Make sure the meat is off of the direct heat.
- The internal temp needs to reach 140 before it's done. It normally takes around three hours.
- Make sure you let the meat rest at least 20 minutes before slicing so all the juices don't leak out leaving a dry roast.
- Let the meat sit out at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.