Recipe by Wilmom
My husband doesn't like potato soup, but this one, he'll take seconds! I developed the recipe when I couldn't find one with the combination of flavors I wanted.
Top Review by swanddwarfs
I really enjoyed this. With the bacon and cheese on top, it reminded me of my favorite cheesy potato soup from a restaurant I used to go to. My husband thought it was a little bland but liked it once he added one of his numerous pepper sauces to his bowl.
- 5 large baking potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake potatoes in 350 degree oven about 1 hour (till soft when squeezed gently).
- NOTE: Some potatoes have more starch than do others. You may need to add more milk, to keep the soup from being too stiff.
- While potatoes are baking, fry bacon till crisp.
- Crumble bacon. Set aside on paper towel for garnish.
- Remove potatoes from oven. Cool to handling temperature.
- Remove skins.
- Cut 3 potatoes into large chunks(or, if you prefer a smoother soup, mash them all).
- Mash two of the potatoes.
- Place all the potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Add butter, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Heat, stirring, till heated through.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese (I use the pre-shredded kind--a bit more expensive, but so very time-saving!).