Recipe by Sage
This is the best fried rice according to my husband. The recipe is from a friend who was a caterer/restaurateur; all around a great cook.
Top Review by Scoutie
VERY tasty! My b/f thought it strange that bacon was in it, until he tasted it, then he loved it. I used a red pepper as that is what I had on hand. I also used a splash of sesame oil along with the regular oil. I made this using Perfect White Rice recipe #137364 as I have always cheated and used instant or got some from the Chinese take-out. LOL Thanks so much for posting, Sage. Made for ZWT6.
- 473.18 ml cooked long-grain rice (cold)
- 4 slice bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 14.79 ml oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 29.58 ml soya sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and discard some of the bacon fat; keep 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat to medium high. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bacon fat.
- Add the onion, the celery, 1/2 of the green onions and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, green pepper and mushrooms.
- Cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, soya sauce and stir to coat.
- Stir together.
- Push rice mixture on edge of pan and add beaten egg in the center. Let the egg set for 1 to 2 minutes, then scramble them with a fork and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir the eggs into the rice, breaking them up into small pieces. Turn off the heat.
- Add the bacon; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the fried rice to a serving platter and sprinkle with remaining chopped green onions.
- Tip: This serves 4 if it is served with another dish or 2 if it is the main dish.
- A great way to use leftover rice.
- It can be made ahead of time and frozen.