1/1 Photo of Edna's Fried Rice
This is the best fried rice according to my husband. The recipe is from a friend who was a caterer/restaurateur; all around a great cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (cold)
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and discard some of the bacon fat; keep 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- 2Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat to medium high. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bacon fat.
- 3Add the onion, the celery, 1/2 of the green onions and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, green pepper and mushrooms.
- 4Cook another 3 minutes.
- 5Add the cooked rice, soya sauce and stir to coat.
- 6Stir together.
- 7Push rice mixture on edge of pan and add beaten egg in the center. Let the egg set for 1 to 2 minutes, then scramble them with a fork and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir the eggs into the rice, breaking them up into small pieces. Turn off the heat.
- 8Add the bacon; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 9Transfer the fried rice to a serving platter and sprinkle with remaining chopped green onions.
- 10Tip: This serves 4 if it is served with another dish or 2 if it is the main dish.
- 11A great way to use leftover rice.
- 12It can be made ahead of time and frozen.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Edna's Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.5
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.2 mg
- Sodium 730.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g