Recipe by ThatCaptJim
Edna was my mother in law's mother who passed away in the 70s. This recipe is very dog eared and stained, so I assume it was well loved! I'm amused that someone in the family (later) added instructions for doing it in the microwave as well! The directions are somewhat idiosyncratic - I've transcribed them as they were written down on the recipe card.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups hot water
- 4 slices French bread
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Put butter and onions in 2 quart cassarole [sic] and bake in oven until soft, stirring once.
- Combine can of beef broth, can of chicken broth, and hot water in sauce pan.
- Add onions and butter and bring to a boil.
- Divide between 4 big mugs that are safe in the oven.
- Top each mug with one slice of French bread and 1/4 of each of the cheeses.
- Broil until cheeses are melty.
- ADDED LATER - To do it in the microwave:.
- Put butter and onions in 2 quart cassarole [sic] and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, stirring once.
- Combine chicken broth, beef broth, and hot water in dish.
- Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes until hot.
- Top top each of 4 servings with slice of French bread and 1/4 of each cheese.
- Microwave on high for 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 minutes until cheese melts.