This recipe is only found in the Edmonds cook book. This famous recipe from New Zealand is to die for. I grew up eating this and I can tell you, it's fantastic! I hope that people in different countries will love this just as we do here in New Zealand! Enjoy!
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and ginger together.
- Mix into creamed mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board. Knead well.
- Press dough into a greased 20x30cm sponge roll tin.
- Bake at 190C (375F) for 20-25 minutes or until light brown.
- When there is about 5 minutes of cooking time left, combine butter, icing sugar, golden syrup and ginger.
- Heat until butter is melted, stirring constantly.
- Pour hot ginger icing over base while hot and cut into squares before it gets cold.