Recipe by the_cookie_lady
This recipe from Scotland makes a gorgeous looking bar and sounds sooo good! It comes from "The Joy of Cookies" by Sharon Tyler Herbst. You can use chopped apricots in place of the currants or cherries if you can't find them. Cook time includes cooling the crust. Prep time is a guess, since I've never made this.
Top Review by katew
I cannot really fairly give stars as I mixed this all together as one bar slice and did not do the 2 layers - I used the correct ingredients but accidentally dropped the fruit into the dough - typically did not have my mind on the job - so had to continue on . The result was 5 stars though - great dried fruit combo !!
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 cup candied cherry, rinsed in hot water, thoroughly drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut (or flaked)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup lyle's golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lyle's golden syrup
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice or 1 -2 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Lightly grease a 10 x 15-inch jelly-roll pan.
- To prepare crust, combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Turn dough into prepared pan and use a rubber spatula to spread evenly over bottom.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven; cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- To prepare filling, combine currants, cherries, coconut, nuts and ginger in a large bowl; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together butter, golden syrup and eggs. Add to fruit-nut mixture and stir to combine. Spread evenly over baked crust.
- Bake 22 to 27 minutes, or until golden brown. Cook on rack.
- To prepare glaze, combine sugar and golden syrup in a medium bowl. Stir in enough orange juice or milk to make a smooth, creamy glaze of medium consistency. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies. Let glaze set before cutting into 70 (about 1 1/2") squares, cutting 7 strips one way and 10 strips the other way. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for longer storage.